This versatile recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law when I was a new bride 37 years ago. It has been enjoyed by our family and guests and at potluck suppers more times than I can count. Folks love the chicken and noodles in a delectable cheese sauce.—Eleanor McElroy, Kernersville, North Carolina
Recommended: Old-School Recipes That Deserve a Comeback
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soup, milk and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add chicken, celery, green pepper and pimientos.
- Drain noodles; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken A La King Casserole in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p14
Reviews forChicken A La King Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2011
"I personally really like this casserole and so does my family. I think I could eat it every other day, its that good..."