Cherry-Chocolate Coconut Meringues
Dried cherries lend sweetness and texture to these easy meringue cookies. They’re simply delicious and very low in fat. They also provide a great light dessert for those family members on a gluten-free diet. —Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min./batch + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add extract and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; beat into egg white mixture. Fold in coconut and cherries.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 25-28 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool completely on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteLook for unsweetened coconut in the baking or health food section.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 42 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cherry Chocolate Coconut Meringues in Healthy Cooking December/January 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.