- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add extract and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; beat into egg white mixture. Fold in coconut and cherries.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 25-28 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool completely on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forCherry-Chocolate Coconut Meringues
"Great! I used mixed berries and cherries. The chopped up fruit and coconut gives these a bit more body and texture than some meringue cookie recipes."