Cherry Cheese Windmills
These pretty cookies look fancy, but they are really not much work. They're perfect for any occasion. —Helen McGibbon, Downers Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and extract until smooth. Fold in cherries. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 10-in. square. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut into 2-1/2-in. squares. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Make 1-in. cuts from each corner toward the center of the dough.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of filling in the center of each square; sprinkle with almonds. Fold alternating points to the center to form a windmill; moisten points with water and pinch gently at center to seal. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 126 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.