Cheesy Skillet Pizza Dip
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen bread dough dinner rolls, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Microwave butter, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and red pepper flakes, covered, until butter is melted. Cut each roll into thirds; roll each piece into a ball. Dip dough balls in butter mixture; place along outer edge of a 10-in. cast-iron skillet, leaving center open. Gently stack remaining balls on top of bottom layer, leaving some space between them. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake until dough balls are set and beginning to brown, 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and remaining garlic powder; spoon into center of skillet. Layer with 1/4 cup mozzarella and pizza sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella and pepperoni. Brush rolls with some of remaining butter mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake until dip is heated through and rolls are golden brown, about 10 minutes, covering loosely with foil as needed to prevent rolls from becoming too dark. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 258 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 1, 2019
Such a crowd pleaser! Delicious and full of cheesy flavor. Beware, though, it's messy! Have napkins and plates handy. Definitely ideal for teenagers and game day parties.
Jun 2, 2018
Oh, my this is like the best of everything! So cheesy, doughy and just delicious! A crowd pleaser for sure!
Oct 22, 2017
This recipe sounds so delicious my whole family can't wait to try it.
Oct 22, 2017
Love love all of the recipes!!!!
Oct 21, 2017
Very creative recipe! I used store made raw pizza dough as a time saver. Empty pan results! Thanks!
Sep 24, 2017
Wow! This was a truly amazing wonderful, ooey-gooey recipe! Why the 4 stars then? The baking instructions need some drastic alterations. 15 minutes at 400 degrees was way too hot. My oven does bake quite accurately to temperature but before the 15 minutes was up, the tops of the buns were way too dark. The frozen roll package instructions had the rolls baking at 350 degrees. Next time I will try that or 375 degrees (cast iron does retain temperature) and loosely covering with foil during the initial baking time.The 2nd round of baking needs adjusting too. It took about 25 minutes for the filling to completely heat through. I did have a gap before adding the filling while I was prepping other food, which allowed my skillet to cool off. Next time, I'll immediately fill and bake to try to less the 25 minute cooking time.Despite my rolls turning out overly cooked and dark, the dip was the star of the show. Fabulous goodness!