- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 can (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, rinsed and seeded
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce or 1 cup salsa, divided
- Combine cheeses. In a 10-in. x 6-in. x 2-in. baking dish, layer cheese and chilies. Combine eggs, flour and milk; pour over cheese mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Top casserole with half the tomato sauce or salsa; bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Pass remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Chili Casserole
"I cut this recipe in half for just my husband and I. I added in shredded pork that I had leftover and some black beans. Instead of putting the "drained" salsa on top, I used some leftover diced tomatoes, then added salsa verde on top after it was done cooking. The middle of this was still fairly gooey, so I wound up putting aluminum foil on it and baking it longer. I served it with some tortilla chips. We thought it was really good, and may even benefit from having some corn thrown in. This definitely seems more like an appetizer though, not a dinner."
"This recipe sounded good, but after reading some of the other reviews; I thought I'd doctor it up a bit. I added shredded steak and a can of black beans, and served it on tortillas with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. I would make this again and I think by substituting hamburger for the steak this would make a really good dip with chips, like for a party or something."
"I took the suggestions of previous reviewers, added ground beef, a can of black beans and half a packet of taco seasoning mixed together as the first layer. My family LOVED this!! Nothing leftover. This was delicious. Thank you!"
"Add re-fried beans or even black beans. GO WILD!!!!"
"WHERE ARE THE BEANS ??"
"This was pretty good. I added a pound of ground beef to make it more of a main dish, but the initial 30 minutes in the oven burned the top layer so I'd suggest starting with 20."