Cast-Iron Cherry-Berry Peach Pie
I had an overabundant supply of cherries one year, so I adapted several recipes to use them up. I knew this one was a keeper when I received phone calls from my Mother and Grandmother complimenting me on this pie.—Amy Hartke, Elgin, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced peaches, thawed
- 1-3/4 cups pitted fresh dark sweet cherries or 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, cherries, blueberries and extracts. Combine sugar, flour, tapioca, salt and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit and gently toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50-55 minutes. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 601 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 91g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Peach Cherry Berry Pie in Cast Iron Spring 2019