I really love carrot cake and wanted to make a cookie that had the same flavors, and these comforting cookies are are it! Cinnamon, maple and vanilla make them perfect for the holidays.
Featured In: 22 Ways to Get More Carrot Cake in Your Life
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in carrot and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-3/4-in. fluted round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are light brown. (For a crisper texture, bake cookies 13-15 minutes.) Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and maple syrup until smooth; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with walnuts. Let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Carrot Cake Shortbread in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p20