Captain Russell’s Jambalaya
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, combine first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in shrimp, sausage and rice. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and stir; cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 556 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1345mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 25, 2019
Great flavor! I added 2 cups of broth since other reviewers stated it came out a little dry and I also had to bake it for 1 hr and 15 min. checking the rice and added more broth as needed. Will make this again. Thanks for the recipe!
Mar 19, 2018
I absolutely love this recipe. Mine comes out drier than traditional jambalaya as well, but all that flavor has absorbed right into the rice. I wouldn't change a thing. God bless Captain Russell, whoever he may be.
Mar 3, 2013
AMAZING! It was so easy to make and didn't take long to cook therefore something I could cook any night of the week. Only substitution was I used mild italian sausage instead of andouille and a dash of red pepper flakes instead of the hot sauce.
Mar 3, 2013
AMAZING! It was so easy to make and didn't take long to cook therefore something I could cook any night of the week. Only substitution was I used mild italian sausage and a dash of red pepper flakes instead of the hot sauce.
Oct 25, 2012
I made this according to the recipe. It was very good. The whole family liked it. I did add some extra broth after the first 45 minutes and I would probably add even a bit more next time. I would also up the meat. Definitely do the whole pound of sausage and perhaps add some chicken. Definitely a do over!
Mar 15, 2012
I made this just like the recipe with no substitutions. It is absolutely amazing. I have never had Jambalaya before but thought this was so good that I could almost picture myself eating in New Orleans.
Mar 9, 2012
Super easy and super yummy. Not a big fan of shrimp so I substitute chicken instead. =)
Mar 1, 2012
I took out the sausage and doubled the shrimp it is SO good! This recipe was a keeper
Oct 19, 2011
I never comment on these things, but I had to for this recipe. This was AMAZING! So easy to make and full of flavor! We like heat, so I added crushed red pepper flakes and extra hot sauce. Will definitely be making this again! Thank you so much!
Aug 28, 2011
I have made this twice now! It is SO good!!