Captain Russell’s Jambalaya
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, combine first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in shrimp, sausage and rice. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and stir; cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 556 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1345mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 25, 2019
Great flavor! I added 2 cups of broth since other reviewers stated it came out a little dry and I also had to bake it for 1 hr and 15 min. checking the rice and added more broth as needed. Will make this again. Thanks for the recipe!
Mar 19, 2018
I absolutely love this recipe. Mine comes out drier than traditional jambalaya as well, but all that flavor has absorbed right into the rice. I wouldn't change a thing. God bless Captain Russell, whoever he may be.
Mar 3, 2013
AMAZING! It was so easy to make and didn't take long to cook therefore something I could cook any night of the week. Only substitution was I used mild italian sausage instead of andouille and a dash of red pepper flakes instead of the hot sauce.
Mar 3, 2013
AMAZING! It was so easy to make and didn't take long to cook therefore something I could cook any night of the week. Only substitution was I used mild italian sausage and a dash of red pepper flakes instead of the hot sauce.
Oct 25, 2012
I made this according to the recipe. It was very good. The whole family liked it. I did add some extra broth after the first 45 minutes and I would probably add even a bit more next time. I would also up the meat. Definitely do the whole pound of sausage and perhaps add some chicken. Definitely a do over!
Mar 15, 2012
I made this just like the recipe with no substitutions. It is absolutely amazing. I have never had Jambalaya before but thought this was so good that I could almost picture myself eating in New Orleans.
Mar 9, 2012
Super easy and super yummy. Not a big fan of shrimp so I substitute chicken instead. =)
Mar 1, 2012
I took out the sausage and doubled the shrimp it is SO good! This recipe was a keeper
Oct 19, 2011
I never comment on these things, but I had to for this recipe. This was AMAZING! So easy to make and full of flavor! We like heat, so I added crushed red pepper flakes and extra hot sauce. Will definitely be making this again! Thank you so much!
Aug 28, 2011
I have made this twice now! It is SO good!!