Cape Cod Corn Pudding
A family member passed along this recipe for corn baked with cheddar and ricotta. Don’t skip the fresh basil—it adds a hint of sweet flavor reminiscent of mint and anise. —Melinda Messer, Benson, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 cups frozen corn (about 24 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add corn and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until corn is crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, ricotta cheese, cornmeal, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, corn mixture and, if desired, basil.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Cape Cod Corn Pudding in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.