Buttery Walnut Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; stir until smooth. If desired, tint with food coloring. Spread and pipe glaze over cookies; place on waxed paper. Let stand until set.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 20, 2016
These reamazimg........delicate flavor and the walnuts did an interesting texture. Will definitely be a favorite!
Dec 6, 2009
this is the third time making these cookies,i can never make enough to give out for gifts, my daughter and friends plus i love them