Butterscotch Hot Cocoa
Most people are used to adding mint flavoring to their hot cocoa. But my family favors this version, which calls for brown sugar and butterscotch ice cream topping. —Aims62, Taste of Home Online Community
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butterscotch ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Miniature marshmallows
- In a large saucepan, heat milk and cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan (do not boil). Remove from the heat; whisk in the brown sugar, cocoa, butterscotch topping and vanilla until smooth. Return to the heat; cook and stir until heated through. Pour into mugs; sprinkle with marshmallows.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 337 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Butterscotch Hot Cocoa in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Feb 28, 2014
Found this recipe on a whim, and glad I did! My family liked it a lot - it was a little too sweet for me, so I might cut back on the butterscotch a little next time.