Bulgur Turkey Manicotti
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Combine bulgur and boiling water; let stand, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Drain; squeeze dry.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble turkey over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings, cottage cheese and bulgur.
- Mix pasta sauce, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water. Spread 1 cup sauce mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill uncooked manicotti shells with turkey mixture; place in prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce mixture.
- Bake, covered, until bubbly and shells are tender, 70-75 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts2 manicotti: 346 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 29, 2018
We thought this recipe was great! I baked it in two 8x8-inch pans and shared one with a friend. We all enjoyed it and I'll definitely make it again!
Nov 18, 2012
Made this last night and my husband absolutely loved it! I will be making this on a regular basis.
May 19, 2012
Love this recipe. I use a plastic freezer bag , spoon in the filling, snip a corner of the bag the size of the noodle opening and it makes quick work of the filling job! I also add a thawed & drained 10oz. pkg. of spinach to the cheese mixture to provide more nutrition and texture.
Mar 27, 2011
Have enjoyed this recipe for quite a while now as it was in one of the earlier editions. It is a healthy comfort food.
Apr 3, 2010
Very easy and tasty!!!