Bulgur Turkey Manicotti
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Combine bulgur and boiling water; let stand, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Drain; squeeze dry.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble turkey over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings, cottage cheese and bulgur.
- Mix pasta sauce, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water. Spread 1 cup sauce mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill uncooked manicotti shells with turkey mixture; place in prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce mixture.
- Bake, covered, until bubbly and shells are tender, 70-75 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts2 manicotti: 346 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 18, 2012
Made this last night and my husband absolutely loved it! I will be making this on a regular basis.
May 19, 2012
Love this recipe. I use a plastic freezer bag , spoon in the filling, snip a corner of the bag the size of the noodle opening and it makes quick work of the filling job! I also add a thawed & drained 10oz. pkg. of spinach to the cheese mixture to provide more nutrition and texture.
Mar 27, 2011
Have enjoyed this recipe for quite a while now as it was in one of the earlier editions. It is a healthy comfort food.
Apr 3, 2010
Very easy and tasty!!!