Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl
You can also transform this tasty bowl into an Italian version with mozzarella, pesto, tomatoes, spinach and basil. —Renata Smith, Brookline, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine first four ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans; heat through.
- Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Let stand, covered, until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Health Tip: With the spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese, this dish supplies all the vitamin A you need in a day.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 311 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.