Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl
You can also transform this tasty bowl into an Italian version with mozzarella, pesto, tomatoes, spinach and basil. —Renata Smith, Brookline, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine first 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans; heat through.
- Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Let stand, covered, until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Health Tip: With the spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese, this dish supplies all the vitamin A you need in a day.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 311 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Dec 29, 2018
the best dish and easy to make i've had in awhile.
Oct 1, 2017
Made this with quinoa instead of bulgur and it was great! Really nice, filling, and easy meatless dinner.