Mediterranean Romaine Salad
This salad is my standard—I always make sure I have the ingredients on hand so I can whip up this easy salad anytime. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups cubed French bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place cubed bread on an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Combine oil and garlic; drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the artichokes, red peppers, cucumber, celery, olives and onion; add vinaigrette and toss to coat. Just before serving, place romaine in another bowl. Add artichoke mixture and croutons; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pepper; top with cheese if desired.