Chicken & Sausage Manicotti
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
Makes2 casseroles (7 servings each)
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, halved lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille or Italian sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water.
- Sprinkle chicken with basil and chicken seasoning. Stuff chicken into uncooked manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup sauce mixture in each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Arrange manicotti over sauce; sprinkle with sausage. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until bubbly and pasta is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To use frozen manicotti: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until chicken and pasta are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 499 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1324mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Feb 26, 2013
It was a little difficult to prepare, but it was awesome!!!! I will definitely make it again!
Feb 6, 2013
This recipe is so easy and great for make ahead.
Feb 4, 2013
tasted excellent. Used a spicy italian sausage and gave it a nice bite. Being a busy family I liked that it made two dinners. The second one is still in the freezer so I am waiting to see if it cooks up as yummy as the first batch.
Sep 25, 2012
Definitely sprinkle basil/poultry seasoning. I put in bag and tossed chicken (which I cubed) - whoa, strong. Plus the picture - they must have used less sauce! Mine was swimming in sauce, but still good. When husband offers compliments & goes for 2nds, dinner is a keeper. Great to have a second dinner all ready to bake. Should have made on a Sun., & not on a night I need to get back to work!.
Nov 14, 2011
This was very good and so easy! The andouille gave it a nice kick but you could def use another type of sausage if you didn't want that.
Nov 13, 2011
iactually sauteed the chicken cut up in small pieces in olive oil a few mins , then added this to some cheese and then stuffed the manicotti shells made it easy .. it was wonderful
Sep 16, 2011
My family thought this recipe was really great! I loved it to because it went together pretty quickly.
Sep 16, 2011
Oct 31, 2010
I had trouble getting raw chicken into raw pasta until I sprayed pam into the manicotti shell then thechicken slid in easily. I was worried about the raw chicken also BUT you cook the entire dish for almost an hour. The chicken was done, the pasta had soaked up some of the sauce. I will add mor cheese on top. and I will make it again.
Oct 30, 2010
This was delicious! My entire family LOVED it. I used ground Italian sausage and it was perfect.