With broccoli, bacon and cheese, this delectable bread has the taste of a stuffed baked potato. Brunches at our house wouldn't be complete without this pretty bread. Even beginner bakers will soon master this attractive loaf.
Recommended: 22 Leftover Ham Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon, egg, onion and oregano. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle with a 16-in. side facing you. Spoon broccoli mixture lengthwise over top two-thirds of dough to within 1 in. of edges. Starting at the plain long side, fold dough over half of filling; fold over again. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut into eight strips to within 1 in. of pinched edge. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Place a large shallow pan on the counter; fill half full with boiling water. Place baking sheet containing bread over the water-filled pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 15 minutes. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheese Fan in Best of Country Breads 2000, p63
Reviews forBroccoli Cheese Fan
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 7, 2015
"I made this back in 2008. Still making it. So Yummy"