Blue Cheese-Mushroom Stuffed Tenderloin
Here’s my go-to entree for just about any special occasion. Filled with a savory stuffing, the sliced tenderloin looks and tastes like a specialty from an upscale restaurant. —Joyce Conway, Westerville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons horseradish mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups french-fried onions
- Additional French-fried onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, 6-8 minutes. In a small bowl, mix mustard, pepper, oil and salt.
- Cut lengthwise through the center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast and cut lengthwise through the center of each half to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast flat; cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 3/4-in. thickness.
- Remove plastic. Spread mushrooms down center of roast to within 1/2 in. of ends; top with 1/2 cup cheese and onions. Starting at a long side, roll up jelly-roll style; tie at 1-1/2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Secure ends with toothpicks.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; spread with mustard mixture. Roast until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 40-50 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Remove string and toothpicks. Top servings with remaining cheese. If desired, warm additional onions in microwave and sprinkle over tops.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 499 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 52g protein.
Originally published as Beef Tenderloin Parisian in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.