Beef Steaks with Blue Cheese
My guests often ask for this winning recipe and are surprised at how simple it is to prepare.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place meat on broiler pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat is browned and cooked to desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the blue cheese and butter; set aside. In a skillet, saute bread cubes in oil until golden brown. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top steaks with blue cheese mixture and sprinkle with croutons; broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is slightly melted.
Health tip: Serving size counts when considering nutrition information. Eight-ounce steaks are generous, as is the amount of blue cheese topping. Make this recipe work for you by using four- or six-ounce steaks and just half of the topping mixture instead.
Nutrition Facts1 steak: 686 calories, 42g fat (20g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 649mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 58g protein.
Originally published as Beef Steaks With Blue Cheese in Reminisce Extra February 2004