Crab-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (3 pounds)
- 3 pouches (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup burgundy wine or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Make a lengthwise slit down the center of tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open meat so it lies flat. Mound crab over the center. Close tenderloin; tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Wrap bacon around meat. Combine 1/2 cup water, wine or broth and lemon juice; pour over beef.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 45-60 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove meat to a serving platter. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour pan drippings and loosened brown bits into a saucepan. Skim fat. Stir in the onion, butter, steak sauce, soy sauce, browning sauce if desired, sugar and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. Slice tenderloin; serve with sauce.
Jan 20, 2011
The photo does not do this recipe justice. It's a special occasion recipe. I made everything just as the recipe said. No one even used the sauce because the tenderloin was so flavorful. (Although the sauce was delicious). My grown children asked that this become our Christmas tradition.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.