A delightful and tasty rub makes this quick recipe fantastic. While the fish is sitting to allow the flavors to blend, you can easily assemble the salsa. My family loves this! —Laura Fisher, Westfield, Massachusetts
Featured In: 38 Cast-Iron Skillet Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Combine the oregano, cumin, paprika, 2 teaspoons pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; rub over fillets. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mango, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and remaining salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook fillets in oil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with salsa. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups salsa).
Originally published as Blackened Catfish with Mango Avocado Salsa in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2014, p206