Black Forest Panettone Pudding
My chocolate-cherry bread pudding uses Panettone, the holiday bread people often receive but aren't sure how to use. I make a glorious sauce for it using ice cream. —Devon Delaney, Westport, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups cubed panettone bread (2-inch cubes, about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- VANILLA BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together eggs, cream and extract. Add panettone cubes; soak 3 minutes, turning to coat. Meanwhile, pulse chocolate chips in a food processor until finely ground.
- In a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate, layer half of each of the following: cubed panettone, ground chocolate, cherries and almonds. Repeat layers. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in brown sugar until sauce resembles caramel. Stir in ice cream; simmer over low heat until it coats a spoon, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve with bread pudding.
Editor’s Note: Panettone can be found in stores mostly during the holiday season and online during the rest of the year.