- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vegetables and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Split each biscuit in half. Arrange biscuits around edge of dish, overlapping slightly; brush with butter and sprinkle with oregano. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBiscuit-Topped Italian Casserole
"After reading the other review, i decided to add 1/2 packet of taco seasoning mix to the meat. So instead of Italian, I changed it to Mexican. Family loved it. I'm sure that some would love this as is, but my family just prefers more zip."
"It was very easy to make however, I feel it didn't have a lot of flavor it seemed to lack something. I am not sure what I will try next time to add more flavor, but will make it again."