Big John’s Chili-Rubbed Ribs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Grill: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 pounds pork baby back ribs
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- Mix the first 6 ingredients; rub over ribs. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Wrap rib racks in large pieces of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat until tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, combine glaze ingredients; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until heated through and sugar is dissolved, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully remove ribs from foil. Place ribs over direct heat; brush with some of the glaze. Grill, covered, over medium heat until browned, 25-30 minutes, turning and brushing ribs occasionally with remaining glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 486 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 1543mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
May 7, 2018
Great for spare ribs. Don't waste time with baby back ribs.
Sep 18, 2017
Flavorful and tender. I will add to the rib rotation and make again.
May 4, 2016
My rack of ribs was about 5 3/4 lbs. and I barely used 1/2 the sauce. I really had to watch so the sauce didn't make the ribs burn to a crisp but they tasted great. I'll make this again but I'll only make half the amount of sauce because that was plenty.
Aug 1, 2015
I used a 3lb rack and the cooking time was about one hour in the foil and 15 minutes withthe glaze. The ribs were tender, sweet and a little different than the norm. Definitely a fun change!