Jim’s Secret Family Recipe Ribs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 3 hours 10 min.
- 2 racks pork baby back ribs (about 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 liter lemon-lime soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple or orange juice, optional
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar or packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce of choice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Brush ribs with soy sauce. Combine oregano, onion powder and garlic powder; rub over both sides of ribs. Transfer to a large shallow roasting pan; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add lemon-lime soda and, if desired, juice to roasting pan (do not pour over ribs). Bake, covered, until tender, about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make barbecue sauce by dissolving sugar in hot water; combine with remaining ingredients, thinning with additional lemon-lime soda or juice if necessary. Reserve 1 cup for serving.
- Remove ribs from oven; discard juices. Brush both sides with barbecue sauce. Grill ribs, covered, on a greased grill rack over low direct heat, turning and brushing occasionally with remaining sauce, until heated through, about 10 minutes. Cut into serving-size pieces; serve with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 483 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1107mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 25, 2018
Tender, tender ribs! Flavor was good but the oregano seemed to be a bit overpowering. I think I will try a more traditional rib rub but keep all other steps and ingredients the same.
Sep 5, 2017
This was my first time making ribs and even though I "messed up" (bought spareribs and only marinaded for four hours instead of overnight) they turned out fantastic. Can't wait to make them again the right way!
Jul 20, 2017
My family thought they were the best ribs they ever had! Great recipe and definetly a keeper!
Jul 4, 2017
Geez THE WHOLE 4th GRADE LOVED IT! A True Winner
Jun 17, 2017
These ribs are so good! The meat falls off the bone, just the way I like them!
May 28, 2017
Big Bold flavor! The meat just falls right off the bone and melts into your mouth. A crowd pleaser for sure!