Beefy Corn Bread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, salt, baking soda, corn, milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour half in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the cheese and all of the beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Carefully spread remaining batter over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 388 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 10, 2015
Delicious and Easy to make! I increased the jalapenos a bit, and we also served it with salsa spooned over the top. Will enjoy the leftovers and will make again! I think it would also be a good appetizer if cut into bite sized pieces.
Apr 30, 2013
LOVE this recipe! I sought this out to replace an old recipe I lost a few years ago, very similar in concept. The cornbread in this one is even more delicous than the old recipe so I'm actually happy I lost that one! One thing I carried over from the old recipe, however, is adding about 1/2 cup of salsa to the meat mixture - this makes it especially moist and flavorful and doesn't interfere with the cornbread rising at all.
Jan 5, 2012
Cheesy and meaty with a little bit of zing. Wonderful to eat on a cold night! Great comfort casserole!
Aug 2, 2008
I made this the other night and it was awesome. I couldn't find a 13*9 in pan so I had to cook it longer but it was worth it!!!