Beefy Corn Bread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, salt, baking soda, corn, milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour half in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the cheese and all of the beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Carefully spread remaining batter over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 388 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Nov 10, 2015
Delicious and Easy to make! I increased the jalapenos a bit, and we also served it with salsa spooned over the top. Will enjoy the leftovers and will make again! I think it would also be a good appetizer if cut into bite sized pieces.
Apr 30, 2013
LOVE this recipe! I sought this out to replace an old recipe I lost a few years ago, very similar in concept. The cornbread in this one is even more delicous than the old recipe so I'm actually happy I lost that one! One thing I carried over from the old recipe, however, is adding about 1/2 cup of salsa to the meat mixture - this makes it especially moist and flavorful and doesn't interfere with the cornbread rising at all.
Jan 5, 2012
Cheesy and meaty with a little bit of zing. Wonderful to eat on a cold night! Great comfort casserole!
Aug 2, 2008
I made this the other night and it was awesome. I couldn't find a 13*9 in pan so I had to cook it longer but it was worth it!!!