Western Beef and Corn Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup hickory-flavored sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg.
- Spread crust mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 434 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1277mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2018
I made this for lunch today. It was sooooo good. I served it with a lettuce and ranch dressing salad and everyoneloved it! I just had regular canned corn, so I used that instead of Mexicorn. Also, I added a chopped onion with the ground beef as it cooked. This recipe is a definite keeper!!! I bet Monterey Jack Cheese would be good, too.
Jul 9, 2017
This western casserole is lovsx by everyone!!
Oct 15, 2013
Great recipe but I changed out salsa for the tomato sauce and added black beans. I also used a box of corn bread and added a little flour (it was too runny) and added the corn bread to the bottom and sides. This was great the night of and maybe even better the next day!
Jan 2, 2012
The online recipe is missing part of the sentence that should say "1/2 cup hickory-flavored or regular bbq sauce". Kind of an important phrase to be missing! I cut out the original recipe so have it in print. I have made this many times! I make one and half times the cornbread base and bake it in a 9 X 13 pan. Sometimes I add a can of black beans (drained & rinsed). Use 1 cup of frozen corn instead of canned. This is fantastic!
Dec 31, 2011
Hickory sauce would be a commercial barbecue sauce flavor. I use KC Masterpiece Hickory in this recipe and it's great.
Nov 30, 2011
this looks good but I have a question. what is hickory-flavored sauce? where would I find it in the grocery store? thanks.
Nov 2, 2011
This dish is so much better than the fairly simple ingredients suggest. It is also very simple to make. I recommend it with no reservations.
Feb 27, 2009
Cornmeal is found in the baking aisle near the flour.
Feb 27, 2009
OK maybe I'm an idiot but I could not find cornmeal at the grocery store. So I just used a box of corn bread muffin mix. It worked. Should I be looking in the baking section or the ethnic foods?I agree with previous poster. I have a 3 1/2 and 22 mo. who loved eating this.
Dec 15, 2008
This dish was positively delicious! I chose to bake mine in a deep casserole dish, and the crust turned out perfect. It was one of my favorites in a long time, and I will definately be making this one again and again. Even my picky 5 year old and 18 month old loved it! Thanks for such a delicious recipe!