Beef & Onion Piroshki
When I lived in Seattle, one of my favorite places was a small stand that sold piroshki—Russian stuffed pocket sandwiches. Whenever I’m missing my former town, I make my own batch. —julie merriman, Seattle, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Havarti cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir the spinach, cheese, sour cream and dill into the beef mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll a puff pastry sheet into a 12-in. square. Cut into sixteen 3-in. squares. Repeat with remaining sheet.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon beef mixture onto the center of each square. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle; press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to greased baking sheets. Whisk egg and water; brush over tops. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 14-16 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 115 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.