Beef & Onion Piroshki
When I lived in Seattle, one of my favorite places was a small stand that sold piroshki—Russian stuffed pocket sandwiches. Whenever I’m missing my former town, I make my own batch. —julie merriman, Seattle, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Havarti cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir the spinach, cheese, sour cream and dill into the beef mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll a puff pastry sheet into a 12-in. square. Cut into sixteen 3-in. squares. Repeat with remaining sheet.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon beef mixture onto the center of each square. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle; press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to greased baking sheets. Whisk egg and water; brush over tops. Bake at 400° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
Originally published as Beef & Onion Piroshky in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.