An Italian favorite, spiedini are great for holidays and other special occasions. The hearty skewers hold marinated steak pinwheels stuffed with a marinara-and-crumb filling.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Broil: 5 min./batch
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 medium red onion
- 40 fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Thinly slice steak widthwise into 5-in. strips. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the marinade ingredients. Add beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Transfer half of the mixture to a shallow bowl; set aside. For filling, add marinara sauce to the remaining crumb mixture and mix well. Spread 1 teaspoon filling over each beef strip and roll up into pinwheels. Coat with reserved crumb mixture.
- Cut onion into 1-in. pieces and separate into layers. Thread a piece of onion, a sage leaf and a beef pinwheel onto a soaked wooden appetizer skewer; repeat. Drizzle lightly with oil and place on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Broil 3-4 in. from heat for 5-7 minutes or until beef reaches desired doneness, turning once.
To Make Ahead: Skewer spiedini as directed, without adding sage and onion. Freeze unbaked spiedini in a single layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer container and freeze for up to 1 month. To use frozen spiedini, thread sage and onion as directed. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until beef reaches desired doneness, turning once.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 59 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Spiedini's in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013