I've traveled to many different countries and am always on the lookout for cookbooks. I adapted this recipe from a Turkish cookbook and it brings rave reviews whenever I serve it. I usually serve the kabobs with rice pilaf and a tossed salad.
Recommended: 50+ Brilliant Recipes for Food on a Stick
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 each green, yellow, orange and red peppers
- In a glass bowl or heavy-duty plastic bag, combine lemon juice, oil, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Add meat; stir or shake to coat. Cover or seal and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut peppers into 1-in. squares and thread onto skewers alternately with meat. Grill over hot coals, turning often, for 12-15 minutes or until the meat reaches desired doneness. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Pepper Kabobs in Country Extra May 1995, p51