Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and milk; mix just until combined. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture; beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 497 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
Did not like the cream cheese on it. Cake seemed to sink in the middle even though was totally done.
Nov 25, 2018
I used this recipe yesterday for birthday cupcakes. I doubled the recipe and got over 48 cupcakes. I also doubled the frosting recipe and got more than enough frosting for generous topping of the cupcakes. I like this recipe very much and will definately use it again. The cupcakes were lighter than I expected based on some reviews. Really yummy!!!
May 31, 2018
I really enjoyed this cake. It was easy to mix up and bake, and it tasted great! The only change I made was to add some chopped nuts to the batter for extra crunch/texture (( love nuts!). I've tried both walnuts and pecans, and both are great. The frosting is delish!
Jan 18, 2018
I have not mad this cake yet, but I have a question. Can I substitute butter for shortening? I really don't like using shortening.
Dec 3, 2016
Best cake ever made - never a piece left over. Super moist
Feb 18, 2016
This cake won the prize in this house! I have a particular husband and 3 kids 5 and under. This cake is one of just a few that my kids ate the frosting AND the cake part! The beaten egg whites give it more fluff so it's not so dense and heavy. Best banana cake recipe I've found! My husband's exact words. ..... It's deeeeeeeelicious!
Jan 18, 2016
Excellent banana cake and I love the fact that you could use regular milk instead of buttermilk, which I didn't have on hand. I used a store-bought frosting, but the cake was very, very yummy! Will make again! Thank you for a great recipe!
Jan 17, 2016
This cake has good banana flavor, but is super super dense. I was hoping for something a little lighter. The frosting is tasty, but a little thick.
Aug 15, 2015
This was just what I was looking for to use up some ripe bananas! The texture is dense, kind of like banana bread, but really tasty, and the recipe for the icing makes more than enough, so if it is your preference for less icing, maybe reduce it or save part of it for something else. YUM!
Sep 20, 2014
This is a great recipe. Nice flavors. Easy to make. Yes, the frosting is different than other frostings I have made (no milk), but it is surprisingly tasty. The tang of the cream cheese balances out the sugar. I did not find I had to use any cream or milk like others did. I used a hand mixer and it beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar to a nice, creamy spreadable frosting. Perhaps I would use only 3/4 of the cream cheese, less butter and 3 cups of xxx sugar next time because I found it made too much frosting. Hard to stay away from the bowl for little tastes :).