- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°/ In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve desired consistency. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Reviews forBanana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
"I made these for a family gathering & everyone loved them. They had the perfect amount of banana flavor & the frosting was so good I could eat it by itself!"
"I followed the recipe as written, but I did add some walnuts in the batter and sprinkled some on top of the frosting. The cake was moist and so delicious! I baked it in a 13X9 stone pan for about 35 minutes. This is going to be my "go to" recipe when I make banana bars."
"A delicious way to use overripe bananas. The sour cream makes the bars extremely moist."
"I made this exactly as written except I didn't have sour cream so I used the Dannon light and fit vanilla Greek yogurt, and I added semi sweet chocolate chips. I put it in a 13x9 pan and baked it for 35 minutes. It is moist and light. My husband gave it a 4.5 and my 5 year old gave it a solid 10. My 20 year old has not been here to try it. I am keeping this recipe for taking places. It is fantastic."
"Made these in a 13 x 9 glass dish, baked for 28 minutes & my friends & family just raved about them! Will definitely make the same way again."
"Absolutely the best recipe for banana bars I have ever baked and eaten. My husband can't keep out of them, and I took them to a sick friends house and her husband and son were hiding them from each other! Didn't and wouldn't change a thing except I did add walnuts to the batter as we love nuts with anything banana."
"Best recipe that I've found for banana bars."
"These were a giant hit at my house. My 3 daughters each have boyfriends and they all loved them. The sour cream made them so moist. I may use 3 bananas next time and I know I'd love some nuts in them. I did find that as delicious as they were right after frosting them, they were even better the next day! I think the flavors got more intense as it sat overnight. Only lasted till the second day!"
"i really liked this recipes cause it only has... 96 mg of sodium and when u go to make this - use unsalted butter! I added some applesauce and some roasted pecans and every1... Loved it!"
"Fabulous! Moist and tender. My daughter who doesn't care for banana loved these. I was shy some banana and used applesauce. Will make again. This replaces beloved favorite banana cake recipe."