Baked Stuffed Carrots
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 12 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Place carrots in a skillet; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. drain.
- Cut a thin lengthwise slice out of each carrot. Scoop out carrot, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set shells aside.Place the removed carrot in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; add mayonnaise, onion, horseradish, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Spoon into carrot shells.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the crumbs, 1 tablespoon butter and paprika; sprinkle over carrots. Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 172 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 20, 2018
Impressive and Tasty. I would suggest using larger sizedcarrots. I roasted mine . I used a knife to hollow out the centers but if the carrots are soft enough a Mellon baller would work well.Cook time in this recipe is slightly off . And a properly cooked carrot is key.I left out the horseradish. We really enjoyed these healthy, eye catching unusual Carrots.Volunteer TOH Field Editor
Nov 23, 2011
This an always requested dish for Thanksgiving Dinner.
Sep 10, 2010
Served it on Easter, impressive presentation and tastes great.