Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 8 to 12 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oil, garlic, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Spread half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the eggplant, zucchini, green pepper and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 250 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 29, 2013
My new favorite ratatouille recipe! Did bake it covered kept it moist and the vegetables were just right..not too soft. And did omit the bacon and didn't miss. Still lots of flavor. Used provolone cheese since a favorite. Would stir the casserole after baking as better taste when mixed. Thanks for a great way to prepare this dish!
Aug 6, 2013
Wow, this is packed with flavor and, while it is delicious right out of the oven, the next day it's even better. I will definitely keep this recipe close and use it again. Yummy!!
Dec 18, 2012
This is one of the freshest, best tasting meals we've ever had. I've recommended this recipe several times and my mouth waters just thinking about making it again this weekend.
Jun 29, 2012
I have made this many times. Family will ask if i will make it for get together. So juicy and all the flavors bind so well. Definitely stimulating to the taste buds.
Feb 7, 2012
I found that the tomato mixture was too sparse. Also, my zucchini on top came out a little bit dry. I don't think the bacon or eggplant really complemented it. It was okay, I would probably make it again because my mom liked it a lot, but probably not for only myself.
Jan 20, 2012
I omitted the bacon and added fresh mushrooms. Delicious! I have also added browned chicken tenderloins on top for the last 30 minutes of baking.
Sep 28, 2011
I doubled the diced tomatoes and used a whole can of tomato paste.
Feb 21, 2011
like others, I made this dish for our son since he loved the movie. I enjoyed it, and will be adding it to my recipe collection. The only change in made is shredded cheese, and I can see where the sliced cheese would be better. Also, I baked it uncovered, per directions, but I may cover it next time, and let it crisp up the last 10 minutes or so uncovered. I thought it left the dish a bit too dry on top.
Aug 8, 2010
very good, great way to use veggies from the garden!
Jul 26, 2010
This recipe is absolutely amazing. We had never had ratatouille before, but are completely hooked on this one. The only substitution we made was we placed mozzarella slices on top instead of the monterey jack. This dish was incredibly delicious. It tasted very fresh and you felt good about eating it.