Baby Basil-Zucchini Muffins
"These delicious treats make the most of the basil and zucchini I grow," enthuses Marion Lowery of Medford, Oregon. "The aroma during baking is so tempting my family flocks to the kitchen to grab muffins for snacking. I've learned to always mix up a double batch so I have enough for dinner!"
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely shredded peeled zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, basil, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat the eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 115 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Baby Basil-Zucchini Muffins in Country Woman May/June 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.