Basil, Feta & Roasted Pepper Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, peppers and basil.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 201 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 1, 2014
I didn't fill them 3/4 full, so I got a dozen perfectly sized, beautiful muffins. I was disappointed with the flavor, however. The bites with the feta cheese and fresh basil were good. The roasted red peppers really didn't add much except for a pretty color. Maybe the batter could use some salt?
Sep 6, 2011
After reviewing the comments here, we retested this recipe to confirm the yield. When filling the cups three-fourths full, as the recipe indicates, we got a yield of 9 muffins. We apologize for the error and it will be updated on the recipe soon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Oct 10, 2010
These were ok. If you did not get any of the feta or red peppers in your bite the muffin itself was really bland. It was an easy recipe to make.It made more than 7 muffins.
Jul 27, 2010
Very good savory muffins. Definately best when served warm.
May 14, 2010
Delicious! I didn't have enough feta cheese for the full 3/4 cup, so I added mozzarella cheese that I had on hand. Excellent! And the recipe does make about double the stated servings.
Apr 2, 2010
Good, easy and quick to whip up! I also got way more then 7 muffins. I actually ended up with 15!! I would go with fresh basil next time.
Mar 27, 2010
This is a really excellent savory muffin recipe. But seven muffins? I got an even dozen.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.