- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti or linguine
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water; keep pasta warm. In same pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add peas; cook until just heated through.
- Add pasta to pot; toss to combine. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough reserved pasta water for sauce to reach desired consistency. If desired, serve with additional cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forAuthentic Pasta Carbonara
"This is a filling dish and so quick to put together."
"I cooked the pasta in one pot and the bacon in another skillet at the same time to save time, and it seemed to work OK. I added the peas per the recipe, then drained the pasta, saving the water, and put it and the bacon and peas all back in the larger pot. I then followed the rest of the recipe, except I left out the peel and parsley since I didn't have it on hand. It was really enjoyable and overall pretty easy."