Austrian Apple Twists
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast and flour; add butter and mix well. Add egg yolks and sour cream; mix well. Shape into four balls. Place in separate resealable plastic bags or wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- Combine sugar, pecans and cinnamon; set aside. On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a 9-in. circle. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and apple. Cut each circle into 16 wedges; roll up from wide edge and pinch to seal. Place with point side down on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. For icing, combine sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over the twists. Sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 78 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
May 31, 2018
These are absolutely scrumptious - a co-worker advised they would pay me to make these for them - and so easy to make.I would give more than five stars if I could.
Mar 5, 2018
The dough is extremely delicious and so easy to work with! The family thoroughly enjoyed them!!
Apr 8, 2010
I have to say that the smaller size works well too and is worth the effort. Sometimes I make pop-in-your-mouth size cookies on my cookie trays and the smaller size is perfect. I also recommend using a pizza cutting wheel when dividing your dough into either 16ths or 12ths. If the dough sticks to the wheel as you are cutting it, just gently press the dough down as it is being cut.
Apr 8, 2010
This is one of my favorite recipes. I make cookie trays with assortments of various favorite cookies for gatherings for family or friends. This one is a hit every single time.These twists also freeze well and need only a few minutes to thaw. You have to try them.
Nov 14, 2009
These are awesome! I did find it easier to cut the dough (leaving laying in circle) before sprinkling on the sugar/nut mix & apples. And I found 16ths were a little too fidgety, but 12ths were easier to work with and still gave you dainty little pastries.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.