Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops red food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flours and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Mix orange zest and food colorings into one half; leave remaining dough plain. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide each half into eight portions. Roll each portion into a 15-in. rope. Place one plain rope and one orange rope side by side; press together lightly. Cut rope crosswise into 3-in. pieces. Twist each piece several times; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 95 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 16, 2016
Use corn syrup with powdered sugar adding water in a mixer. Mix well adding water until icing is med. Thickness. Ice cookies on wire rack once cooled. Top with sprinkles.You can omit the orange peel/zest and extract to change the flavor:Cherry: red food coloring in 1/2 dough with chopped marachino cherries and 1 tsp. Cherry extractAlmond: 1 tsp. Almond extract sprinkle top of iced cookie with slivered almonds. You can also add 2/3 c. Slivered almonds to that half of the batter and I like to add brown coloring to give the cookie a light two tone look.Lemon: add lemon zest and 1 tsp. Lemon extract wuth several drops of yellow food coloring