- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bake crust at 425° for 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Cook the asparagus spears in a small amount of water until tender. Drain and cool. Reserve 3 whole spears for garnish; slice the remaining spears into 1/2-in. pieces. Toss together the asparagus pieces, onions and flour. Spread asparagus mixture into crust; sprinkle with cheese. Whisk together eggs, cream, salt, basil and cayenne pepper. Pour into crust. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes. Split the reserved asparagus spears lengthwise and arrange, cut side down, in a wheel pattern on top of filling. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forAsparagus Quiche
"My oh my, this is just so good!!! My changes; I slightly pricked pie crust with fork and precooked recommended time at 400 degrees. Used 3 green onions instead of 2 and cut asparagus first then cooked until barely tender. Had to bake longer in my oven, roughly 45 min. until top started turning golden brown. We just loved the flavors. Husband, who is not a fan of quiche, still remarked the next day how great it was. Try this one, especially with all the fresh asparagus in the spring."