Asian Barbecued Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil on all sides in batches. Remove ribs; discard pan drippings. In the same pan, saute onion for 2 minutes or until tender. Return ribs to the pan.
- Combine the ketchup, 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, mustard, ginger, salt, pepper and bay leaf; pour over ribs.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan drippings. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 240 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 26, 2015
This is a really good recipe. As I mixed the wet ingredients together, I was unsure. I followed the recipe and added a little extra brown sugar and at the end of cooking, added some honey. Absolutely delicious.
Oct 15, 2013
Apr 24, 2013
My family of five enjoyed this very much. I did ad 50% to the recipe because there are 5 of us. Besides the recalculation of the recipe, I added above that, more ginger, more brown sugar, more soy sauce and added sesame oil and lemon grass for more of an Asian flavor. I believe the recipe would have tasted just fine without the adjustments, but it was just a change for personal taste. If anyone is thinking of turning the cooking temp up, don't. I had just enough liquid left and took it out at 1:40 mins. If the temp was higher it would have burned.
Jan 27, 2013
These were really good. I used boneless beef short ribs and the 1 3/4 hour cook time was perfect.
May 3, 2011
Have made this many times, family loves it.I do add more brown sugar than called for, & only half the amount of lemon juice
Sep 18, 2009
Very good! We really enjoyed these ribs.
Aug 10, 2009
that sounds very very delicious