I was experimenting with a beer bread to make it into a dessert and came up with this delicious cake that tastes just like our favorite apple fritters. —Ann Marie Eberhart, Gig Harbor, Washington
Recommended: 50 Pumpkin Patch Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or unsweetened apple juice, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-in. square baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- Whisk together the first five ingredients. Add apples and beer; mix just until blended (do not overmix; batter will be thick). Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Lifting with parchment paper, immediately remove cake from pan. Brush all sides with melted butter. Cool. Meanwhile, combine all icing ingredients. Spread or drizzle over cooled cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Fritter Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2018