Apple-Balsamic Pork Chops & Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium Gala apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sprinkle pork chops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork chops on both sides; remove from pan.
- Add apples, mushrooms and onion to the skillet; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, broth, vinegar, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 5 minutes.
- Place pork chops over top; cook, covered, 4-6 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 pork chop with 1 cup rice: 454 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Dec 16, 2017
I made this exactly as told except I used frozen brown rice instead of instant. We really enjoyed this. It encompassed all of the flavors of my mom's pork chops with apples, with slightly less fuss. I think the balsamic vinegar brings the flavors up a notch too.
Feb 21, 2017
This was yummy and quick too. I left out the mushrooms because my husband doesn't like them and it was still good.
Oct 2, 2015
So tasty! I usually don't like rice, but this recipe went fast.
Sep 10, 2015
This is a good recipe, goes together fast. The vinegar helps a lot by giving it a flavorful tang. I used instant brown rice as directed. Next time I'll either precook regular brown rice, or add more broth or less instant rice for added moistness.
Sep 5, 2015
Rave reviews from everyone! Wonderful flavor combination. I used regular brown rice precooked. Everything else the same.
Oct 28, 2014
Classic combination of pork and apples. Love how simple and easy this is. It is wonderful and my family loved it.
Mar 11, 2014
Delicious and fast. I followed the recipe exactly except I used short-grain brown rice which I cooked ahead of time. Will make again--soon.