Antipasto Tossed Salad
This is one of the few lettuce salads my husband will eat! Adding lemon juice to bottled dressing is an easy way to give it homemade flair.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups thinly sliced halved zucchini
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 cups torn romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 large fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces sliced turkey salami, julienned
- 4 ounces reduced-fat provolone cheese, julienned
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup fat-free Italian croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, cauliflower and onions. Combine the salad dressing and lemon juice; pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, combine the romaine, tomatoes, mushrooms, salami, provolone and olives in a serving bowl. Add marinated vegetables; toss to coat. Top with the croutons and Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 86 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Antipasto Tossed Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2001