Andouille Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 5 medium), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and green pepper; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, brown sausage over medium heat. Add potatoes, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, broth and onion mixture. If desired, stir in liquid smoke and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. If desired, top servings with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without sour cream): 168 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Jan 28, 2019
This was a pretty good base for a soup and came out similar to a minestrone but a little light on flavor. I kicked it up a notch by adding 2tsp cilantro, 2tsp cumin and 1tsp smoked paprika. My only problem with this recipe was the potatoes, after an hour they still were not cooked, my suggestion would be to boil them in the broth for a while before adding all the other ingredients.
Dec 21, 2017
My local butcher makes a FANTASTIC andouille and this soup was definitely a winner. I needed to cook it for much longer to make the sausage tender, simmer for at least an hour. Then add potatoes and onion mixture and cook for 20-30 more minutes. Add tomatoes during last 10-15 of cooking so they don't disintegrate. I also only used 1 onion and NO liquid smoke. Making these adjustments made it perfect - adding it to our regular rotation. Thanks!