Andouille Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 5 medium), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and green pepper; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, brown sausage over medium heat. Add potatoes, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, broth and onion mixture. If desired, stir in liquid smoke and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. If desired, top servings with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without sour cream): 168 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Dec 21, 2017
My local butcher makes a FANTASTIC andouille and this soup was definitely a winner. I needed to cook it for much longer to make the sausage tender, simmer for at least an hour. Then add potatoes and onion mixture and cook for 20-30 more minutes. Add tomatoes during last 10-15 of cooking so they don't disintegrate. I also only used 1 onion and NO liquid smoke. Making these adjustments made it perfect - adding it to our regular rotation. Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.