Andouille-Shrimp Cream Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large skillet, saute the first six ingredients in butter until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, tomatoes, broth, thyme, chili powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and cream. Bring to a gentle boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 390 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 30, 2018
My family loved this recipe. I'm making it again next week!!
Jan 30, 2016
Made this soup for a charity soup cook off and it placed 2nd. A real hit for those who love spicy.
Feb 13, 2015
was great tasted awesome ....................
Oct 23, 2014
Amazing, saw this in the magazine and knew it would be a knock out! Good enough for company with some cheddar jalapeño cornbread :)
Jun 6, 2013
This recipe is amazing. I will be making this recipe again. Everyone raved over it. 5 stars all the way.
Jan 16, 2013
spicy & creamy! chunky and very satisfying. will defintely make again. would be great for adult dinner party. mmm mmm good!
Dec 11, 2012
Absolutely wonderful! We made this a few weeks ago and can't wait to make it again. It was a very hearty soup, more like a stew in that there was not much broth.
Jan 18, 2012
A delicious soup to spice you up on a cold winter night. These flavors are a departure from my usual pantry staples, but I will definitely be making it again. It's zippy, flavorful, and delicious with a side of corn bread. I highly recommend this recipe.