Adams County Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 cups of the sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice, salt and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. In another bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spread one-third of batter in a greased 10-in. tube pan. Cover with half of the apples. Repeat layers. Spoon remaining batter over top.
- Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 356 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 3, 2017
This reminds me of the German apple cake only it has 3 layers of delicious cinnamon apples!! This cake turned out perfect!! Great recipe!!
Oct 15, 2013
Just made this cake and the batter was so thick thought I might have left out a wet ingredient so doubled check and I put everything in but the batter looked more like a biscuit batter and it stuck to my pan after greasing plenty what do you think went wrong, was so looking forward to it looks so good in picture, I'm disappointed.
Sep 29, 2013
This is very moist and easy to make. I halved the recipe for my husband and myself, baking it in an 8x8" glass dish at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. As others mentioned, I added nutmeg to the cinnamon and sugar to mix with the apples, using less sugar than called for. I used half the batter for the bottom, a single layer of [Macintosh] apples and the remaining batter on top, and sprinkled a little sugar/cinnamon mixture on top. This is a keeper.
Mar 2, 2013
made this recipe, took it to work, EVERYONE LOVED it! cut back on the sugar by 1/4 cup- used cider instead of orange juice and added 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Delicious!
Nov 25, 2012
I had two people ask me for the recipe the first time I made it! It was that good!
Feb 23, 2012
I found the batter very stiff and spreading the batter over the apples was difficult. I went over the recipe and not sure why the batter was so difficult.
Nov 28, 2011
I add 50ml Eggnog and mix with the rest of ingredients. Also 4 and a half apples with cinnamon and brown sugar. On the top of the bread before serving I pinceled confectioners 'sugar with Eggnog, because my husband loves Eggnog. THe cake tastes reaaaaaally good and smells mmmh!
Nov 7, 2011
I made this with Jonithan apple and it turned out great.I gave to friends and they all love it.I will be sure making it again
Oct 24, 2011
I made the cake this evening. I replaced 1 cup of the sugar with Splenda granulated. My husband and I really enjoyed this cake. It beats store bought and I will be making this again. Thank you for the recipe.
Oct 21, 2011
i have made this before and everyones loves it