- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 cups of the sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice, salt and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. In another bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spread one-third of batter in a greased 10-in. tube pan. Cover with half of the apples. Repeat layers. Spoon remaining batter over top.
- Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
1 slice: 356 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.