- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
"Love this ......great way to use up a jar of pizza sauce too... come summer everyone has Zucchinis ....everything is in this meal too...a filling side dish or a complete meal.... Made it in ramekins...a good way to serve it too...spray the ramekins tho...sausage substitute work's as well...biggest deal is getting ALL the water out of the Zucchini ...."
"Has become a favorite at my house, added two cloves of garlic to the sauce and half onion and its delicious !"
"I made this years ago for my veggie hating kids. Making it now for my veggie hating grandkids. Hubby and I love it and the grandkids don't know what they're eating! Works for me!!"
"I have made this many times now and every time it's still fantastic! Only changes I've made is that I use frozen chopped peppers and onions and cook them with the hamburger, I also use plain tomato sauce and just add italian seasoning and garlic."
"Love this recipe. Have made it many times. I have even froze it. This one is a keeper."
"This is excellent. I loved that it tastes like pizza and the zucchini was essentially hidden in the dish. I did make a few changes - ground turkey instead of ground beef and I ran out of mozzarella cheese so I ended up using cheddar to replace it. I would absolutely make this again, maybe adding a few pizza toppings to it as well."
"This deserves all the fantastic reviews! If you are looking for recipes that will work well with a spiralizer, I used my thin-cut zucchini noodles instead of shredding them and it was great. I loved seeing my kids inhale all the zucchini!"
"I made this casserole on 11/1/16 and it's delicious! I did use 3 small red peppers, ground turkey in place of the beef, 2 cups shredded Pizza cheese blend and 1 cup Pepper-Jack/Cheddar cheese blend since I had those prepared cheeses on hand. I'd also added 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper to the ground turkey/chopped onion and I used a 15-oz. can pizza sauce. I used a 3-qt. casserole. delowenstein"
"I made this today, and it was easy and delicious. I will definitely make it again."
"With over 200 5-star reviews, I felt this dish was a no brainer. (I like to try new TOH recipes that don't have as many reviews yet, but I wanted a sure fire meal for tonight.) It was YUMMY.....loved the baked shredded zucchini-cheese base and can't go wrong with a tomato beef mixture with more cheese. Two thumbs way up and a perfect casserole to make anytime. Husband liked as much as I did."