- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
"Very good and easy! I used tofu for the hamburger!"
"I made this tonight and I must say it is delicious. I did take a couple of suggestions from others: 1) I drained the zucchini for about 30 minutes then I pressed out as much moisture as I could in the strainer - then transferred to paper towel and blotted some more - my casserole was not runny; 2) I added 1/2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp oregano and 2 minced garlic cloves to tomato sauce mixture and sauteed the green peppers with the meat and onion. The sauce was anything but bland. I will be making this recipe for a long time to come. Thank you."
"I've made this recipe several times as written. It's a great way to use zucchini and it's always a hit."
"Excellent! Great low carb dish to satisfy cravings for pizza. Will be making this and changing up the meat/veggies to make different varities(this time I used ground beef,mushrooms and black olives. I also added seasoning to tomato sauce (red pepper flakes, garlic powder and Italian seasoning."
"Awesome! We practically cleaned out the bowl. No left-overs, so sad."