Zucchini Pizza Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Place zucchini in strainer; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with the eggs, Parmesan and half of the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add green pepper. Bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
Sort By :
This was wonderful tasting! In place of the ground beef I used sausage and in place of the Italian tomato sauce I used homemade marinara. The zucchini will be soggy if you don't drain it properly, but it still tastes good. You can pour off the extra liquid for nice and firm leftovers.
Awesome will make again and again
Very good! I used sausage instead of ground beef.. Also added pizza sauce to tomato sauce because I didn't have Italian tom sauce. I will definitely make again..
Very good, but extremely high in fat and cholesterol. So not really a "healthy dish" but very tasty.
Made this tonight and we both loved it. Since I just had regular tomato sauce, I added Italian seasoning and some garlic powder. Definitely a keeper.