Winter Squash Banana Bread Recipe
“I modified my usual recipe when I couldn’t find any zucchini at the grocery store,” relates Violet Rundels of Waverly, Ohio. “I used cooked squash from the freezer section instead, along with bananas. My family loves this bread.”
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, allspice, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla; add squash and bananas. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Winter Squash Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p65
Reviews for Winter Squash Banana Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 5, 2009
Could the time/temp. be adjusted to using two (2) 9x5 loaf pans?