- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and chopped onion in oil over medium-high heat until meat is browned on all sides. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the potatoes, carrots, quartered onions and mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, apple juice, tomato paste, parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper. Pour over meat.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours. Stir. Bake, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes longer or until stew reaches desired thickness. Discard bay leaves; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Winter Beef Stew in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p20
Reviews for Winter Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review